Saturday, February 18, 2012

Can I use a Dell reinstallation CD home edition XPfor a HP computer XP professional edition?

I have a HP computer running on professional edition XP but I don't have the cd for it. I do have a cd for a Dell windows xp home edition. Can I use that reinstallation cd on my HP computer? My HP computer is acting up and I want to reformat it. Please help. Thank you.Can I use a Dell reinstallation CD home edition XPfor a HP computer XP professional edition?XP Home/Pro Installation/recovery/startup software is non-swappable.

Both HP and Dell have recovery partitions set up to cater for this. Contact HP - you supply machine details and they'll supply instructions and the CD mirror you need. Have you tried tapping %26lt;F8/11/12%26gt; (can't remember which one, 'though I've done it several times before) on startup to enter recovery options?

Visit HP and backup everything, whatever you decide to do.



*****

Just seen the prev response.

If you do not have a full install disk, and if you created the recovery disk originally, the recovery disk should only work on the Dell, or a machine with similar processor/hardware configuration. I'd be genuinely interested to hear that you've activated the HP using the Dell recovery disk (and which product ID you used for activation).Can I use a Dell reinstallation CD home edition XPfor a HP computer XP professional edition?You should be able to. You'll just get Dell crapware instead of HP crapware. You will also lose the functionality of XP Pro over the Home edition.



Does your computer not have a recovery partition? If not, have you contacted HP? They'll send you disks, possibly for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment