Saturday, February 18, 2012

How long does it take to reformat a 300GB HD? My Dell system restore did it in 15 minutes. Is that too soon?

How do I completely reformat my hard drive? I did the Dell system restore method and it took only 15 minutes. I have a feeling it didn't reformat my hard drive completely because it took me over 2 hours before on my other PCs.How long does it take to reformat a 300GB HD? My Dell system restore did it in 15 minutes. Is that too soon?It depends on whether it is a "quick format" or a full or complete format. A quick format is not as thorough and leaves data more accessible to recovery software.



System restore generally does a quick format and then reinstalls the software.



Also, if you are reinstalling an OS due to malware, you may be better off doing so from disk, rather than using System Restore. With System Restore, you have already booted your computer, and thus, the MBR (Master Boot Record -- which is where viruses often insert themselves in order to perpetuate their existence), is not over-written like it is when booting from a disk drive.How long does it take to reformat a 300GB HD? My Dell system restore did it in 15 minutes. Is that too soon?i did a 120gb in 1 min using a vista upgrade disc, so i guess 3 mins... depends u took everything off?? or recovered it as in reformat and reinstall the os?? ppl r to vague

No comments:

Post a Comment