Sunday, February 12, 2012

Is the prologue of my Christmas story any good?

I'm a thirteen year old girl writing a Christmas love story. I just finished the prologue. Is it any good? Would you read it?



Prolougue



“I am not alone at all, I thought. I was never alone at all. And that, of course, is the message of Christmas. We are never alone. Not when the night is darkest, the wind coldest, the world seemingly most indifferent. For this is still the time God chooses.”

- Taylor Caldwell



I was brought up to know that Christmas was a family time. The first flakes of snow that fall in early November. The rich scent of warming apple pie. The laughter of children running around in red and green knit sweaters, a large dog with a bell collar galloping behind them. These were acts of love, warmth, and togetherness. Of family.



Christmas was always a word that brought a gleam to my blue eyes. While other families focused on what they recieved, I looked forward to "Classic Christmas." We would go to church and sing Silent Night and Go Tell It On The Mountain. The adults would sit through an hour long finger puppet show of the nativity scene. We would go caroling, and donate food and clothing to less fortunate. And then, we would sit around the Christmas tree, sparkling with lights, bulbs, and homeade decorations, and tell Christmas stories while drinking hot chocolate. Sure, we got gifts, but the difference was, they weren't the highlight of our holiday season.



I guess that's why I was so upset. It killed me that I wasn't going to be home for Christmas. That, and the horrible event that had happened the summer before. The summer when cancer had mixed into my life, rearing it's ugly head just long enough to break my heart. I can still clearly picture my editor, in his sleek black suit and maroon tie, announcing that I had to go and write a column in New York.



" Jessica, this is a huge opprontunity for you! Professional actors are puting on "A Christmas Carol" in the New York City Theatre! Tickets are extremely hard to come by, but we've managed to pick up 2. You can invite a friend to go with you. I expect a full page on it."



" When do I leave?" I'd asked, eager to be undertaking such a prestigious project.



" Well, your plane leaves at 9:00 AM on the 23rd. That'll give you plenty of time to settle in to your hotel room before the play the next night." He'd obliviously flipped through papers in his file.



"Wait! What? I'm not going to be home for Christmas?" My disbelief and disapointment, I knew, had been evident, etched onto my face.



" Jessica," he'd said softly, dropping his professional tone, guesturing for me to sit down. "Ever since Tim died you've been clinging to your family. He's gone, Jessica, and you need to learn to be your own person again. This will be good for you. You haven't been out of your comfort zone in months, and a little adventure, a little fun, will help with that."



He'd handed me the tickets, and, wiping the tears from my watery eyes, I'd walked out of his office. I had been so sure that nothing good would come out of this trip. I was wrong, but, at the time, I was oblivious to that fact. I'd gone home and cried for hours, and after I was through with my episode of self pity, I'd slipped back into the shadows, more watching my life go by then actually living it. I was so unaware of what was to come.Is the prologue of my Christmas story any good?
Hey, that's pretty good! It really pulls you in. You're a great writer, and i'm looking forward to reading your stories in the future! Keep it up!(:
  • translate japanese to english
  • translator french to english
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment